Coin Purse FREE Sewing Pattern and Tutorial
While you certainly don't need to make this coin purse pattern from leather –you can use vinyl or almost any fabric– it makes a good first project for those who have never sewn with leather before.
I had originally designed this pattern as an ornament on our Christmas tree if you can believe it, but I found that my teenage daughter was carrying it everywhere because it made such a good addition to a handbag. I also found the concept made for wonderful small gifts as well.
- leather, 1 to 2 ounces average, can use vinyl or fabric 13″ x 8 1/2″
- one rectangle of quilting fabric 17″ x 8 1/2″ for the lining and strap
- two rectangles of quilting fabric 5″ x 1″
- water-based leather glue. I used Leather Weld.
- 5″ zipper
- polyester thread for leather (Do not use cotton.)
- 1/4″ double-sided tape
- one tassel (optional)
- teflon sewing machine foot
- sewing machine leather needle
- grading or quilting ruler
- craft knife
Learn how to Make an Easy Tassel in Three Ways with this FREE Tutorial.