These backpack rain covers from umbrellas are really easy to make because the umbrella fabric is already the right size and shape for covering a backpack, plus it’s super lightweight and obviously waterproof. They’re perfect for kids going to school, but also for students going to university, professionals going to work, or anyone out for a walk!
Are you ready to make a DIY backpack rain cover? Then let’s get started!
- the fabric from one umbrella.
- a small scrap of umbrella fabric
- about 40″ (100 cm) more or less of 1/8″ (4 mm) elastic
- jar cap
- fine permanent marker or pen
- fabric shears
- pinking shears
- pins (preferably very thin silk pins to avoid leaving holes in the fabric)
- size 70/10 universal sewing needle (again, the small needle minimizes holes)
- tape measure
- safety pin
- matching polyester thread (poly thread doesn’t soak in moisture like cotton thread, so it's preferable in this case)
You might want to check this Sun and Rain Hat Pattern, too!