I have been looking for the perfect shopping handbag. After a lot of research, I now realize there is no such thing. Unless you want to walk around with a safety deposit box as a handbag, there is not a completely secure handbag. However, there are certainly a lot of things we can do to make our handbags safer, more secure and functional. I took some of the ideas from our last bag, the Anti Pickpocket Bag, added a few details from your comments and came up with this new shopping handbag that I'm naming Gleam.
I have added RFID shielding fabric and made the bottom stronger. I have kept the handles the same and added a removable pouch big enough for a camera. The zippered internal pockets are hard for pickpockets to get to because they are hidden under the facing. I am using a strong cotton fabric from Marimekko's latest collection and added some rhinestones for bling.
- Heavy weight cotton to 1 1/2 yard (I used a print from Marimekko)
- RFID shielded fabric Two (2) linear feet x 59 inch wide (see below)
- Felted wool 1/2 yard (or vinyl)
- Steam-A-Seam 1.5 yard (I love this stuff..)
- Thin fusible interfacing
- Twelve (12) 1/2″ grommets or large eyelets
- Four (4) rings with spring
- Fabric glue/Fast Tak or Easy Tak
- One (1) yard 1/2″ bias tape
- Sew-in 10mm flat back rhinestones
- Two (2) 8″ zippers
- One (1) 14″ zipper
- One (1) metal ring 3/4″ to 1″ in diameter
- Two (2) small lobster claws